Site undergoing scheduled maintenance & changes. Please give us feedback on the website changes here.

ONECAN Toolkit: Insurance

Through their activities, all community groups will expose themselves to a degree of risk. In order to protect themselves and their assets from any potential loss, damage or liability that may arise from these risks, it is advisable to have appropriate insurance cover in place.

The type of cover required will depend on the activities undertaken by the group as well as the assets and resources at its disposal. However, should a community group operate a motor vehicle or employ staff, motor insurance (minimum third party cover) and employers’ liability insurance (minimum £5 million cover) are required by law. Although not compulsory, public liability insurance is highly recommended for any group that interacts with the public. This protects against any claim of loss or damage incurred by a third party as a result of a community group’s activities or negligence. Other popular insurance includes:

  • Event insurance
  • Professional indemnity insurance
  • Property/material damage insurance

While there are many insurance brokers and policies available, the Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations (SCVO) endorses Keegan and Pennykid and its Encompass Policy which is specifically designed for the voluntary sector.

For further information on insurance, please contact VASLan’s Stuart Reilly at

Share This Post

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

More To Explore

Pop Up Uniform Shop

Have you heard about the amazing benefits of preloved school uniforms? Let us fill you in on all the awesomeness! First and foremost, preloved uniforms

Read More >